Home > How to Remove > Old or Multiple Layers of Paint
Old or Multiple Layers of Paint
Remove multiple paint layers from glass, laminate, fiberglass, metal, wood, porcelain, plastic (may etch some plastics always test a small area first), vinyl, windows, brick, ceramic, counter tops, flooring, granite, marble, concrete, stone, and tile:
- Apply MAX Strip Professional Strength Paint & Varnish Stripper or for stubborn coating use Popcorn Ceiling Remover/Textured Coating Remover to surface
- Wait time dependent on layers of paint approx. 1 – 12 hours test a small area first
- For wait times over 4 hours cover area with plastic to keep product wet/working and increase penetration
- Carefully scrape softened paint away
- Scrub and wipe surface with warm water
Warning: Before starting any paint or textured coating stripping project that may contain lead or asbestos please be sure to test it first. Test kits are inexpensive and available at your local hardware store or online.
If your test is positive for lead or asbestos, MAX Strip strongly recommends that you contact a qualified, licensed restoration or renovation contractor in your area for advice and a quote. Licensed contractors will have the training, employees, safety equipment and disposal facilities available to handle the project.
Paint Disposal: MAX Strip encapsulates paint being removed and is safe to be disposed of in your household garbage. However, if you suspect there could be lead in the paint you want to remove test it first. Lead based paint must be disposed of in accordance with the laws of your area of residence.