Home > How to Remove > Textured Coatings
(Painted) Textured Coatings
Remove painted textured coatings safely from drywall, wood, and other hard surfaces:
- Prep room by covering walls and floor with plastic this will protect your walls/floor and allow for easy clean-up
- Apply MAX Strip Professional Strength popcorn Ceiling Remover/Textured Coating Remover to surface, product can be applied by brush or roller
- Wait time dependent on layers of paint and thickness of texture approx. 1 – 12 hours test a small area first
- For wait times over 4 hours cover area with plastic to increase penetration
- Carefully scrape softened texture with a mud spatula catch material in a plastic lined paint tray for easy clean-up
- Wipe surface with a clean, white cloth and warm water
Warning: Before starting any paint or textured coating stripping project that may contain lead or asbestos please be sure to test it first. Test kits are inexpensive and available at your local hardware store or online.
If your test is positive for lead or asbestos, MAX Strip strongly recommends that you contact a qualified, licensed restoration or renovation contractor in your area for advice and a quote. Licensed contractors will have the training, employees, safety equipment and disposal facilities available to handle the project.